The NBA officially declared yesterday that former Microsoft muckety-muck Steve Ballmer is now the owner of the Los Angeles Clippers. It cost him only $2 billion. That’s OK though, because he’s worth around $20 billion. One might think that when you pay that much for a team, that the sale would be clean, without any extra obligations.
That is not the case with the sale of the Los Angeles Clippers.
The deal involves a series of perks for Shelly Sterling, longtime wife of former Clippers owner, racist scumbag Donald Sterling. This perks include:
- $200 million funneled into The Shelly Sterling Foundation, an organization to be dedicated to benefiting children, minorities, and abused women. As the name implies, Sterling will get to run the foundation.
- Two courtside tickets to all Clippers home games.
- Ten tickets in sections 101 or 111 to all Clippers home games.
- Six parking spots in Lot C for each Clippers game.
- Twelve VIP passes to all of the fancy lounges and clubs in the Staples Center.
- Three championship rings if the Clippers ever win a title.
- Honorary title of “Owner Emeritus” and “Clippers’ Number One Fan” for the rest of her life.
Why Steve Ballmer would want to own the Los Angeles Clippers is beyond me, especially when it means he will have to deal with Shelly Sterling on a continuous basis. She’s just as racist and just as awful as her husband. I would rather drink a cup of Ebola than root for a team who’s number one fan is Shelly Sterling.