Tomorrow is Free Comic Book Day, the one day a year you can walk into a comic book shop and get comics without paying for them, and not have to worry about ending up in the back of a police car wearing handcuffs. Publishers produce special comics that they in turn sell to comic book retailers through a distributor at a substantially lower amount, for the sole purpose of giving them away on Free Comic Book Day.
Over the years, comic book retailers have taken advantage of Free Comic Book Day by having special sales and other events that capitalize on the special day. Here’s a list of what some of the comic book shops in and around western Maryland will be doing tomorrow:
- Atomic Comics (Hagerstown, Maryland): Nothing. To the best of my knowledge, Atomic Comics didn’t participate in Free Comic Book Day even before the building in which it resides was condemned by the city.
- Beyond Comics (Frederick, Maryland): Comic creators Jonathan Luna, Sarah Vaughn, Mark Wheatley, Marc Hempel, Danielle Corsetto and Terry Flippo will be there signing autographs. Artists will be doing sketches. If you bring in a non-perishable food item, you will receive more free comics. They are also having a huge sale.
- Brainstorm Comics & Gaming (Frederick, Maryland): It doesn’t look like they are participating in Free Comic Book Day this year. There isn’t anything about it on their website or their Facebook page.
- Comics World (Chambersburg, Pennsylvania): Located in the old Waldenbooks storefront in the Chambersburg Mall, Comics Works is by far the nicest and biggest comic shop in the region. Not only are they participating in Free Comics Book Day, they are also having a sale.
- Four Color Fantasies (Winchester, Virginia): Even though they claim on Facebook to be Virginia’s best comic book shop, it doesn’t look like they are participating in Free Comic Book Day. There’s nothing about it on their Facebook page and their website appears to have been abandoned.
So there you have it, it looks like if you want some free comic books, you’ll need to go to either Frederick or Chambersburg. Either destination is around 25 miles from Hagerstown, so considering the price of gasoline, it might just be cheaper to go to Wonder Book & Video and paw through the $1 long boxes or go to 2nd & Charles and do the same.